Stepping into Emma Edwards’ house is like stepping into a 1950s television show where glamorous people hosted cocktail parties and dined in avocado-colored kitchens. Edwards made over every inch of her Manchester, UK, home to look like a 1950s American home.
The House Is Like a 1950s Movie Set
The house is a perfect recreation of the “tiki” style that was popular in the 1950s.
“The kitchen is based on a Youngstown American 1950s kitchen, but the units are all modern made to look retro,” she told the Manchester Evening News in 2016.
A Lifelong Passion for Another Era
It’s safe to say that Edwards is obsessed with the 1950s. She’s the owner of Miss Bamboo, a business that sells reproduction 1950s clothing and accessories.
She usually wears vintage 50s clothing with hair and makeup to match.
Edwards fell in love with the time period when she was in college. She found like-minded groups of students who were equally obsessed with the 50s and 60s, and the idea for her business took root.
Living In the Past
Since then, she has continued living and breathing her chosen style. As she explained in an article for the Manchester Evening News, she began by decorating a camper van. She and her partner then took up the challenge of transforming their 1930s house.
No Detail Overlooked
There are five tiki-themed cocktail bars in the house. The living room has purple shag carpeting with a zebra-patterned area rug on top.
The style even extends to the garden, which has has 1950-style outdoor furniture.
The attention to every detail makes the overall impression glamorous rather than tacky.
She Was “Gutted” to Sell It
Edwards sold the home in 2017. She told the UK Mirror she was “gutted” to leave behind some upgrades like the $100-a-roll wallpaper she bought from a specialty US retailer. The furniture, accessories and knick-knacks, she said, were all moving to the new home.
- Grandpa Has The Sweetest Dance-Off With Granddaughter From Across The Street
- Couple Recreates Iconic Woodstock Photo 50 Years Later
- More Seniors are Downsizing into Tiny Homes at Retirement
- Woman Finds Long-Lost Engagement Ring On A Carrot 13 Years Later
- Man Writes Poem Called ‘Pennies From Heaven’ To Honor His Grandfather
- Grandfather With Vitiligo Crochets Dolls To Boost Children’s Self-Esteem
- Company Makes ‘Hug-A-Hero’ Dolls For Children With Deployed Parents
- Grandma Rescues Base Jumper Dangling Off High-Rise Building