He’s 81 years old. His name is “Papa.” Or at least that is what his darling six-year-old granddaughter Kira likes to call him. And for the sake of love, he is busting out the dance moves to make Kira smile.
Kira and Papa’s Story
When Kira was just a baby, her grandparents moved into the house right across the street. Kira and her mom, Sherrie, feel grateful to have her parents so close.
But right now it isn’t safe to let Kira run across the street several times each day to go play with her elderly Papa and Grandmama.
And so….Kira and Papa started holding daily dance parties.
Staying Close While Staying Safe
Kira chooses the playlist songs. She shows up for the daily dance-offs decked out in her best finery.
Papa (real name Marvin Neely) wears denim and a windbreaker jacket. Kira throws down the initial challenge and then waits eagerly to see what her grandfather will do next.
As Marvin’s daughter, Sherrie, puts it, he “has some special moves.” She also says she has never seen him dance before – until now.
The Best Kind of Virus to Catch
What is so neat about this video is – dare we say it – how it, too, has gone viral. But now we are not running for masks, gloves and toilet paper.
Instead, we are running to hit the “share” button so we can pass the laughter, joy, hope and love along.
Kira and Papa Are on the Today Show!
Within days of when Sherrie posted the friendly little home video clip on her personal Facebook page, the Today Show picked it up.
Now it, too, has made its way around the world from America to Canada, India, Europe and beyond.
- ‘Teddy Bear Hunts’ Offer Kids A Fun And Safe Distraction Amid Coronavirus Lockdown
- Couple Recreates Iconic Woodstock Photo 50 Years Later
- More Seniors are Downsizing into Tiny Homes at Retirement
- Woman Finds Long-Lost Engagement Ring On A Carrot 13 Years Later
- Man Writes Poem Called ‘Pennies From Heaven’ To Honor His Grandfather
- Grandfather With Vitiligo Crochets Dolls To Boost Children’s Self-Esteem
- Company Makes ‘Hug-A-Hero’ Dolls For Children With Deployed Parents
- Grandma Rescues Base Jumper Dangling Off High-Rise Building