Retro recipes are all the rage lately, and the best part of that trend is the return of the venerable cake roll. This Pumpkin Cake Roll lets you enjoy this classic treat with a crunchy shell and a creamy, luscious center.
What’s Special About This Pumpkin Cake Roll?
This cake roll combines cream cheese, vanilla, walnuts and traditional pumpkin pie spices. It tastes rich and delectable without being overly sweet.
In short, it tastes as lovely as it looks.
Yes, You Can Make This Pumpkin Cake Roll
Have you shied away from making cake rolls, jelly rolls and Swiss rolls? This recipe shows you there’s nothing to fear. Yes, you can create this bakery-perfect confection.
Tips for Making a Pumpkin Cake Roll
- Getting the cake to roll without cracking can be a little tricky. Some baking experts suggest using parchment paper during baking. Don’t get overly anxious about this. Even professional bakers produce cake rolls with a crack or two.
- This recipe uses plain, canned pumpkin. Canned pumpkin pie filling has spices added to it. If you use it, just omit the spices.
- How do you soften cream cheese? There are several ways.
What to Serve with Pumpkin Cake Roll
This Pumpkin Cake Roll will be the star of any holiday gathering, but you don’t have to wait for a special occasion to bake it.
To make it special, pair it with a fall-flavored beverage. This warm cranberry, apple and bourbon toddy is a perfect match for your Pumpkin Cake Roll.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Pumpkin Pudding Cookies – velvety cookies that melt in your mouth
- Crème de Menthe Brownies – three layers of rich, boozy indulgence
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies – rich, hearty cookies that smell amazing while they’re cooking
- Copycat Starbucks Banana Walnut Bread – super moist and tender and the walnuts add the perfect crunch!
- Pumpkin Spice Monkey Bread – with a cream cheese and caramel sauce will warm your belly this winter!
Pumpkin Cake Roll
This Pumpkin Cake Roll is a classic treat with a crunchy shell and a creamy, luscious center. It's rich and delectable without being overly sweet.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 6 oz pkg cream cheese softened
- 4 tbsp butter softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
Beat eggs at high speed for 5 minutes. Gradually add sugar.
Stir in pumpkin and lemon juice. Set aside.
Stir together flour, baking powder, salt, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Fold into the pumpkin mixture.
Spread into greased and floured pan (10x15x1).
Top with chopped walnuts.
Bake at 375° for 15 minutes.
Turn onto towel dusted with powdered sugar.
Starting at the narrow end, roll towel and cake together.
When cool, unroll and fill with filling.
Roll up again and refrigerate.
Beat until smooth.