Immerse yourself in all the flavors that take you back to your favorite island paradise with these Coconut Lime Cupcakes. These light, fluffy cupcakes are pretty as a picture and not too sweet. They’re a perfect bite of tropical bliss.
What’s Special About These Coconut Lime Cupcakes
Some of us can’t get enough of tropical flavors, and we chase them all year long. We know that the sharp, clean smell of limes and the warm, creamy taste of coconut belong together.
If you like Key lime pie or coconut cream pie, you will enjoy this twist on those old favorites.
Tips for Making Coconut Lime Cupcakes
- Make sure you use fresh lime juice. Bottled juice won’t give you the same flavor. To squeeze the most out of your limes, follow the handy tips here.
- If you’ve never heard of icing sugar, don’t worry. Icing sugar and confectioners’ sugar are essentially the same, and either one is fine.
- These cupcakes are great at any gathering. You can even make them ahead of time if you store them properly or wait to frost them.
What to Serve with Coconut Lime Cupcakes
If you’re serving them at a kids’ party, this easy, bubbly pineapple sherbet punch is a great match.
For a grown-up gathering, make the most of their lime-infused, tropical nature by serving them with margaritas or straight shots of a good tequila.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Coconut Lime Bread – moist, soft, and slightly sweet, it’s perfect with coffee or a cup of tea
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins – make a great breakfast or the perfect snack between meals
- Easy Bread and Butter Pudding – comfort dessert with a creamy-custardy center and a golden-buttery top
- Gluten Free Funfetti Donuts – the perfect treat for birthdays or any other special occasion
- Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes – tiny pumpkin pies you can eat with your hands
Coconut Lime Cupcakes
These Coconut Lime Cupcakes are pretty as a picture and not too sweet. They're a perfect bite of tropical bliss.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and set aside.
In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
In another bowl, beat together butter, sugar and eggs. Add lime and stir some more.
In thirds, add dry ingredients into bowl of wet ingredients, alternating with the milk. Mix until batter completely forms.
Fold shredded coconut into batter.
Scoop cupcake batter into each section of the muffin tin, filling it about 2/3 of the way.
Bake for 15-18 minutes and allow to cool before decorating.
Buttercream Frosting Instructions
Use an electric mixer to beat together butter, icing sugar, lime and milk. Start on slow speed, then gradually increase to high.
Once the ingredients are well-incorporated and smooth, add gel food coloring and beat more. The buttercream is ready once it forms semi-stiff peaks.
Scoop buttercream into a piping bag with Wilton #12 attached. Frost each cupcake generously.
Sprinkle cupcakes with shredded coconut. Serve and enjoy!
Yields: 12 to 18 cupcakes