Are you looking for a fun, festive appetizer that’s just right for the holidays? Whip up a batch of Reindeer Chow (Muddy Buddies). Everyone will be digging into this big, generous bowl of chocolate and salty goodness.
Make It a Party With Reindeer Chow
Do you spend all your time carefully planning every detail of your holiday meal, only to realize at the last minute that you haven’t give five minutes’ thought to the appetizers?
Did you get a last-minute invitation to a holiday potluck and need to come up with something in a flash?
If you’ve been there, and I certainly have, you want a recipe like this that’s fast, easy to make and impressive-looking. It uses ordinary items you can find in any grocery store or even the late-night convenience store.
Reindeer Chow Helps You Make a Great Impression
This appetizer gets most of its flavor from the coated cereal pieces. The cereal stays wonderfully crunchy under the chocolate and peanut butter coating. The contrast with salty pretzels and chocolate M&Ms makes makes for a flavorful combination.
Tips for Making Reindeer Chow
- Work slowly when you’re heating the chocolate and peanut butter. Overheating it in the microwave will turn it hard and chewy. Heat it in 30-second intervals, stirring each time, until it’s just melted.
- You can find holiday M&M flavors at most stores.
What to Serve With Reindeer Chow
More Holiday Recipes You’ll Love
- Apple Cider Shortbread Cookies – these cookies melt in your mouth and are not overly sweet
- White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies – the white chocolate makes them velvety smooth while the tangy flavor of cranberries keeps them from being overly sweet
- No Bake Bourbon Balls – decadent bites of creamy chocolate
- Christmas Wreath Cookies – these sweet, crunchy cookies look like Christmas on a plate
- Holiday Persimmon Cookies – tender, buttery and delicately flavored cookies
Reindeer Chow (Muddy Buddies)
If you're looking for a fun, festive appetizer that's just right for the holidays, whip up a batch of Reindeer Chow (Muddy Buddies).
Place the cereal in a large bowl.
In a medium bowl, combine the chocolate chips and peanut butter.
Microwave the chocolate mixture for 30 second intervals, stirring each time.
Continue until melted.
Stir until smooth.
Pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal and use a spatula to gently toss the cereal in the chocolate until completely coated.
Place the powdered sugar and cocoa powder inside a resealable gallon-sized plastic bag.
Add the chocolate-coated cereal.
Seal, then shake until cereal is coated in the powdered sugar mix.
Pour the cereal out evenly on a sheet of parchment paper on a baking tray.
Allow them to cool completely and until dry.
In a large bowl combine the cereal, M&M's, and pretzel twists.