This brain teaser is a fun battle between English and math. It isn’t like a normal word problem from math class, however. This one is meant to bend your brain and make you think.
It’s easy to get the answer wrong even if you’re paying close attention when you read the riddle.
ARE YOU READY FOR THE CORRECT SOLUTION?
The answer to the riddle is five.
Did you get it right?
If you got it wrong, keep reading, and we’ll explain how we got an answer of five.
LET’S TAKE A CLOSER LOOK
Here’s the riddle again:
“One rabbit saw six elephants while going to the river. Every elephant saw two monkeys going toward the river. Every monkey holds one parrot in its hands.”
So, how many animals are going toward the river?
Upon first reading, most people think that the answer is 25.
This makes sense if you are reading the riddle quickly. However, there is a tricky bit of wording that you have to pay attention to.
In the next section, we will explain the trick so that you can see how we got the right answer.
IT’S ALL IN HOW YOU SAY IT
The key to this riddle is this sentence: “Every elephant saw two monkeys going toward the river.”
At first glance, you probably thought that it meant six elephants each saw two monkeys, which would give you 12 monkeys and 12 parrots, since each monkey was carrying one parrot.
However, the correct way to read that line is that every elephant saw the same two monkeys heading toward the river.
This means that only these animals are going toward the river:
– One rabbit
– Two monkeys
– Two parrots
Some people might argue that parrots are technically birds and not animals, so if your first answer was 3, that would also be correct.
What do you think? Let’s talk about it in the comments.
- Rare Rainbow Snake Spotted In Florida For The First Time Since 1969
- Man Plays Classical Piano To Comfort Blind And Elderly Elephants
- Artist Turns Old CDs Into Amazing Lifelike Animal Sculptures
- Artist Brings Ordinary Stones To Life With Adorable Animal Paintings
- Brazilian Artist Creates Beds For Stray Animals From Old Car Tires
- UPS Driver Adopts Pit Bull On Her Route After Owner Passes Away
- Woman Finds Long-Lost Engagement Ring On A Carrot 13 Years Later
- Man Writes Poem Called ‘Pennies From Heaven’ To Honor His Grandfather
- Grandfather With Vitiligo Crochets Dolls To Boost Children’s Self-Esteem
- Company Makes ‘Hug-A-Hero’ Dolls For Children With Deployed Parents
- Grandma Rescues Base Jumper Dangling Off High-Rise Building
- Brave Woman Saves Screaming Koala From Bushfire With Her Own Shirt
- Pooper Scooper Robot Finds And Picks Up Backyard Dog Poop