Three young athletes from Wisconsin have won a prestigious award for defending a girl with Down Syndrome who was being bullied.
The Three Musketeers
Scooter Terrien, Chase Vasquez and Miles Rodriguez are best friends and basketball stars at Lincoln Middle School in Kenosha, Wisconsin. The three are so close that their schoolmates refer to them as the Three Musketeers.
One day, the Musketeers showed the true meaning of friendship when they took a stand together to help a fellow student who was being bullied.
Desiree Andrews is also a student at Lincoln. Desiree, who has Down Syndrome, wanted nothing more than to be a cheerleader.
Her father told People magazine that Desiree was a huge fan of the TV show Glee, which featured a character with Down Syndrome who was a cheerleader. Her family was thrilled when she won a spot on the cheerleading squad.
Standing Up to Bullies
Unfortunately, some people at the basketball games didn’t think a girl with Down Syndrome should be cheerleading. One day, a group of these bullies began mocking Desiree.
When they noticed this, the Three Musketeers stopped the game, walked over to the bullies and told them to stop. They made it clear they wouldn’t allow anyone to pick on Desiree.
After that, the gymnasium at Lincoln Middle became known as “Dee’s house,” and chants about Dee’s house rang out at every game.
A Well-Deserved Award
The three basketball players received a Musial Award, which goes to athletes who have shown exceptional kindness and humanity. They traveled to St. Louis to receive the award.
- Company Makes ‘Hug-A-Hero’ Dolls For Children With Deployed Parents
- Grandma Rescues Base Jumper Dangling Off High-Rise Building
- Border Collie Saves Flock Of Sheep From Raging Australian Bushfire
- Brave Woman Saves Screaming Koala From Bushfire With Her Own Shirt
- Pooper Scooper Robot Finds And Picks Up Backyard Dog Poop
- Panda ‘Daycare’ Is Real And It’s The Most Adorable Place On Earth
- Family’s Heartfelt Gift To Policeman Who Lost His K-9 Brings Him To Tears
- Meet The Quokka – ‘The World’s Happiest Animal’