The Australian bushfire emergency has produced a lot of devastation and some unlikely heroes. One is the plucky border collie named Patsy, who helped save her family’s sheep farm.
Border collies are renowned for their intelligence and herding abilities. Those qualities were crucial in the early hours of December 31, when Patsy and her owner woke to see a raging fire headed for their farm in Corryong.
No Time to Paws
Patsy didn’t wait to be told what to do. She quickly took off for the field, where she rounded up the sheep and led them to a safe area of the farm. Meanwhile, her owner used a water tank to douse the flames.
On January 7, Cath Hill, the sister of Patsy’s owner, posted a video of a proud, tired Patsy gazing at her sheep. She said Patsy’s quick work saved most of the family’s sheep, a shearing shed, two farmhouses and dozens of hay bales.
A Living Symbol of Strength
Now dubbed “Patsy the Corryong Wonder Dog,” Patsy has come to symbolize a community’s strength in the face of devastation.
How Can You Help?
If you want to help Australia during this crisis, you can donate to Victoria Wildlife or the Australian Red Cross. There is also a GoFundMe account for the town of Corryong, where Patsy’s family is among the many affected by the fires.
More Amazing Animal Stories
- Pooper Scooper Robot Finds And Picks Up Backyard Dog Poop
- Panda ‘Daycare’ Is Real And It’s The Most Adorable Place On Earth
- Family’s Heartfelt Gift To Policeman Who Lost His K-9 Brings Him To Tears
- Meet The Quokka – ‘The World’s Happiest Animal’
- Dog Stays By His Brother’s Side After Being Hit By A Car And Left To Die
- Adorable ‘Unicorn Puppy’ Has A Tail Growing Out Of His Forehead
- WATCH: Alpaca Herd Peacefully Grazes Below A Spectacular Pink Sunset
- Penguin Swims 5000 Miles Each Year To Visit The Man Who Saved Him