If your grandmother told you to take elderberry syrup for a cold or flu, she was right. Scientists in Australia have published an important study finding that elderberry extracts can fight the viruses that cause these illnesses.
New Research for an Old Remedy
Elderberries are an old-fashioned remedy for the cold, flu, bronchitis and fever. Now that researchers have given them the stamp of approval, you can rest easy knowing that you’re not wasting your money by taking these supplements.
How Elderberry Heals You
According to the researchers, concentrated elderberry extract works in several ways to help you heal. It stops viruses from getting larger, weakens their power and strengthens the human immune system. The study’s findings hit the news while Australia struggled with a record-breaking flu epidemic.
Another study found that taking a commercial elderberry fruit extract shortened the duration of flu symptoms by more than 50% and reduced the severity of muscle aches and fever.
How Should You Take Elderberries?
There are many commercial elderberry extracts on the market.
You can turn fresh elderberries into jam, pies, tea and wine. Never eat raw elderberries, which are poisonous.
You can use dried elderberries to make elderberry syrup. One natural health expert suggests using this syrup on desserts and pancakes. That sounds like a medicine that will go down very easy.
You can buy elderberry remedies over the counter in most places. Doctors warn that you still need to get proper medical care for the flu, especially if you’re very young, very old or have a weak immune system.
- Alcohol-Related Liver Disease Is Skyrocketing Among Young Adults
- Do You Suffer from Chronic Dehydration?
- Energy Drink Addiction Leaves Mom With Pacemaker at 32
- This Implantable Artificial Kidney Could Eliminate Need For Dialysis
- The British Get Drunk More Often Than Anyone In World, Survey Finds
- Husbands Are Taking Way Too Long To Poop, Experts Say
- Smelling Rosemary Improves Memory
- Scientists Develop Arthritis Vaccine That Blocks Pain
- New Cytophone Laser Detects and Destroys Cancer Cells In Bloodstream