Cherries and chocolate are a classic, no-fail combination. If you love biting into cherry cordials, you’ll love these healthier Chocolate Cherry Muffins. They’re wonderful with a cup of coffee and perfect for breakfast, snack time or any time.
Enjoy Guilt-Free Indulgence With Healthier Chocolate Cherry Muffins
If you’re like most of us, you’re probably trying to lose a few pounds, eat better or just cut down on fat. You probably think that means giving up your favorite baked treats.
I have good news. The recipe for these rich, indulgent muffins uses lower-fat ingredients, less sugar, natural ingredients and fresh cherries. That means you can enjoy them knowing they’re not made with butter, tons of sugar, processed ingredients or anything else you want to avoid.
Everyone Will Enjoy These Chocolate Cherry Muffins
They’re not missing any of the flavor, smoothness or delightful decadence of chocolate and cherry. When you smell these baking, it will be hard to resist pulling the oven open and digging into them.
Nobody has to feel left out when you make a batch of these goodies. If you’ve been holding back on baking, now’s your chance to enjoy what your oven can do again.
Tips for Making Chocolate Cherry Muffins
- These taste best if you use fresh cherries. They’re abundant this time of year, and they give these muffins a wonderful flavor. If you can’t find fresh cherries, try canned or frozen cherries.
- You can use other fruits like blueberries with these muffins. Add nuts or chocolate chips. Have fun experimenting with different additions and flavors.
What to Serve with Chocolate Cherry Muffins
Milk is the perfect match for baked chocolate goodness. If you’re having an adult gathering, pair the muffins with a delicious Bourbon Milk Punch.
If you’d prefer a coffee drink or you want to avoid alcohol, try a creamy, delicious and easy Cappuccino On Ice or Almond Milk Frappuccino.
Chocolate Cherry Muffins
Cherries and chocolate are a classic, no-fail combination. If you love biting into cherry cordials, you'll love these healthier Chocolate Cherry Muffins.
- ½ cup applesauce
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup all purpose flour or ½ cup whole wheat flour and ½ cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup pitted sweet cherries
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips optional
- vegetable oil for the pan
Preheat the oven to 400 ºF. Grease a muffin pan with olive oil. Don't use muffin pan liners for this recipe, the muffins will get stuck to them.
Cut cherries in quarters.
In a large bowl mix applesauce, sugar, honey, eggs and yogurt.
Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda. Add salt and whisk together. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Don't overmix!
Add cherry and stir. The batter will be chunky.
Divide batter evenly between the pans. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
Bake for 5 minutes, then lower the temperature to 350 ºF and bake for 15 more minutes. Transfer to the cooling rack and let cool for 10 minutes, then take out of the pan.
Yield: 12 muffins
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cranberry Bread – moist, tender bread that hovers between a loaf and a cake
- Olive Garden Breadsticks (Copycat Recipe) – adding these warm, buttery breadsticks turns spaghetti night into a restaurant-worthy meal
- Coconut Lime Bread – one bite and you’ll be whisked away to a tropical paradise!
- Copycat Starbucks Banana Walnut Bread – super moist and tender and the walnuts add the perfect crunch!
Leave a Reply