Toasted coconut adds rich, nutty sweetness to any recipe and is essential to many desserts. If you’ve ever wondered how to toast coconut yourself, you can stop wondering now. There are actually three ways to do it. Each of these methods will give you wonderfully crunchy, sweet coconut that’s ready for all your recipes.
Here’s Why You Need to Know How to Toast Coconut
Toasted coconut goes on anything. Use it as a topping for meringue pies. Blend it into frosting and use it to frost donuts, brownies and cookies. It’s a classic ingredient in German chocolate cake and coconut layer cake. It makes a wonderful topping for oatmeal or yogurt. It adds natural richness without adding high amounts of sugar or fat.
Toasting your own at home is incredibly easy, and you’ll find a lot of uses for it once you learn how. Plain coconut is fine, but toasted coconut really elevates a dish. Get toasting now and get ready to explore a whole new taste sensation.
How To Toast Coconut In the Oven
Baking in the oven will give you deep golden coconut that’s wonderfully fragrant. This is the best method for making large batches. It also makes the whole house smell great.
- Flaked or shredded Coconut
Preheat the oven to 325°F.
Cover your baking sheet with parchment paper or baking paper.
Spread the flaked or shredded coconut on the sheet.
Bake for three minutes.
Use spatula to stir the flakes.
Continue baking, checking the coconut every three to four minutes, until coconut turns light golden brown. Keep checking to make sure the coconut doesn't burn. It usually takes under 15 minutes to toast the full batch.
How To Toast Coconut On The Stovetop
This is best if you're only toasting a couple of cups. It's hard to manage if you're toasting large amounts of coconut. This is quick and easy.
- Flaked or shredded coconut
Place coconut flakes on the skillet.
Turn heat to medium-high.
Heat coconut, stirring occasionally.
After about five minutes, the coconut should be golden brown.
How To Toast Coconut In The Microwave
This method works best if you're toasting a small amount of coconut. If you need to whip up a quick batch for a recipe and you're in a hurry, this is the ideal method. These directions are for a half-cup of flakes.
- Flaked or shredded coconut
Place coconut in microwave-safe dish or bowl.
Microwave at full power for 45 seconds. Stir the coconut.
Continue doing this until the coconut turns light golden brown. It should not take more than three minutes total.
What Will You Make With Your Toasted Coconut?
There are many great recipes that use toasted coconut, but here are some especially good ones to get your taste buds in gear. Get indulgent with irresistible Toasted Coconut Cream Truffles or super moist Coconut Cream Cake.
Throw caution to the winds and go all out for full coconut indulgence. Make these Toasted Coconut-Pecan Cupcakes with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting.
Enjoy every nutty bite of these fabulous desserts.
- Homemade Buttermilk Pie Recipe – tastes amazing warm from the oven or cold from the fridge
- Disney’s Famous Churro Bites Recipe – they taste so good dipped in chocolate!
- Oreo Peppermint Crunch Cookies – the perfect cookies when you have a craving something rich and self-indulgent
- Coconut Lime Cupcakes – a perfect bite of tropical bliss.
- Maple Pecan Blondies – get ready for the ultimate in rich, gooey decadence
- Apple Cider Shortbread Cookies – these cookies melt in your mouth and are not overly sweet
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins – make a great breakfast or the perfect snack between meals
- Coconut Lime Bread – moist, soft, and slightly sweet, it’s perfect with coffee or a cup of tea