As an experienced gardener, I enjoy working with challenging plants, but I also enjoy discovering easy-growing, low-maintenance plants that I know will add vibrancy to my garden with very little work. That’s why I always include petunias, marigolds and mums in every garden plan, and it’s why I’m over the moon about rose succulents.
Get to Know Greenovias
Rose succulents are formally known as greenovias. Like all succulents, they’re easy to grow and require little work.
If your only experience with succulents is aloe plants or chicks and hens, be prepared to be pleasantly surprised. These gorgeous, shapely plants resemble fully blown roses when they come out of dormancy.
Gorgeous Island Natives
Greenovias are native to the Canary Islands. Sadly, they’re becoming endangered there. It’s surprising that they’re not more popular here, but we should all do our part to change that.
Unlike succulents that like hot, dry weather, greenovias prefer balmy, humid climates. They start to come out of their dormant phase when the temperatures reach 65 to 70.
Greenovias Will Make You a Green Thumb
Plant expert Ashley Glassman gives a detailed tutorial on caring for greenovias. She shows how to care for them at every stage of their dormancy and life.
It’s important to know how to water greenovias to prevent sunburn and water rot.
Glassman recommends letting them go into their dormant phase. This keeps them on a natural cycle that allows them to grow strong. Follow her tips if you want greenovias as healthy, gorgeous and perfectly shaped as hers.
Get Your Own Rose Succulents
Are you ready to add these succulent beauties to your garden? You can buy them from these Etsy sellers.
- Lithops Are “Living Stones” That Look Like Beautifully Marked Pebbles
- Teddy Bear Sunflowers Produce Beautiful, Fluffy Golden-Orange Blooms
- People Are Turning Broken Flower Pots Into The Cutest Fairy Gardens
- Here’s The Proposed Route For The 3,700-Mile Continuous Bike Trail Across The United States
- Vanilla Strawberry Hydrangeas Produce Gorgeous White and Pink Flowers
- Smelling Rosemary Improves Memory
- How To Grow Your Own Avocado Tree With Growing Kit For Under $20
- 50+ Amazing Outdoor Living Ideas