Apples may not be exotic, but they add tons of tart, crisp flavor to savory and sweet dishes. If you never tire of apples in any form, you’re going to enjoy making and eating these Bourbon Apple Bars.
What’s Special About These Bars
These bars feature a rich, spicy and sweet apple filling on top of a buttery crumb crust and a streusel topping. If you’ve never tried freshly made streusel, you’re in for a surprise. It makes a wonderfully delicate, crisp topping that’s a great alternative to pie crust.
You’ll be tempted to eat these bars right from the oven, but give them time to set. The flavors will be even better once they meld.
Better with Bourbon
The combination of slightly tart apples, sweet streusel, rich bourbon and buttery crumbs will knock your socks off. Don’t worry, the amount of bourbon is just enough to give them a punch of flavor.
Tips for Making Bourbon Apple Bars
- Bourbon imparts a smooth, deep flavor to baked products. You can buy bourbon in miniature sizes at your local liquor store. If you don’t want to add alcohol, you can use an extract. You can also substitute with rum or cognac.
- For the best results, use real butter and be sure it’s unsalted.
- Gala apples are popular, but feel free to substitute your favorite type.
What to Serve with Bourbon Apple Bars
Serve them with a bottle of chilled Moscato D’Asti. This sweet, sparkling wine is low in alcohol and high in fruity flavors that pair perfectly with the fresh, buttery flavors of these bars.
More Apple Recipes You’ll Love
- Octoberfest Brats and Apples – fall’s favorite flavors of apple and spices with the classic, comforting taste of brats
- Honeycrisp Apple Broccoli Salad – loaded with crunch and full of healthy ingredients
- Dutch Apple Pie Cookies – cookies that could easily be called Incredible Tiny Apple Pies With Streusel Topping
- Snickers Caramel Apple Salad – deliciously sweet dessert that’s perfect for fall
- Sausage Cranberry and Apple Stuffing – the most amazing stuffing EVER!
Bourbon Apple Bars
Bourbon Apple Bars feature a rich, spicy and sweet apple filling on top of a buttery crumb crust and a streusel topping.
Apple Filling Ingredients
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Line an 8 in square baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a medium bowl stir the melted butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt together.
Slowly add the flour to the mixture stirring to blend all the ingredients together.
Using your hands, press the mixture into the baking pan.
Bake at 300 degrees for 15 minutes.
Apple Filling Directions
In a large bowl add the sliced apples, flour, sugar, bourbon, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Continue working with the apples until they are well coated. Set aside.
Begin adding the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour in a medium bowl.
Whisk all ingredients together until they are mixed well.
Slowly begin to work the butter into the dry ingredients. Using your hands to work with the mixture until it looks like crumbs. Set aside.
Remove the crust from the oven. Set aside.
Increase the temperature of the oven to 350 degrees.
Begin to make a thin layer of apples on the baked crust. Put the apple slices close together pressing them down into the crust.
Sprinkle the streusel on top of the apples.
Return to the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. (Streusel should be a golden brown)
Take the baked streusel from the oven. Set it aside to cool for 20 minutes at room temperature.
Transfer to the refrigerator for 2 hours to chill.
Remove the bars from the baking pan and cut into bars.